Sunday, April 11, 2010

Not mine but His


I feel the need to share this experience with everyone in hopes that you may all learn from it and the spirit will touch you the way it gently touched my heart.
This last January it was our wards turn to take on the dreaded 9am church block. I knew this was going to be a problem for me because I had already had a hard time making to our 11am church. I was just always tired and fatigued as my body tries to restore itself to homeostasis after a grueling summer of medical issues. Well, today was another battle with "getting out of bed" and "finding something that fits me" (I gained a lot of weight from the hysterectomy), and this morning when my alarm went off I didn't have the energy to go through the same battling process I go through every Sunday. So I decided to let myself stay in bed and rest. I leaned over to turn the alarm off I felt a rush of guilt sweep over me, but I buried the guilt and fell back asleep. When I woke up a few hours later that same guilt ate at my heart. I began folding laundry to help take my mind off of it, but it just grew stronger. I felt horrible inside and started to cry. I hit my knees and clasped my hands reverently together and began to pray. Tears streamed down my face as I asked for forgiveness. It was at that moment that I was overcome by the spirit. My mind was opened and I was taught. And then, as if a man standing next to me began to speak, I heard, "These are not your children, they are Heavenly Fathers and you are responsible for them. Teach them." My body became weak and I cried once more. The remorse I felt was to powerful. I truly was sorry. I promised to never let this happen again and I also asked for his strength. And once again, I was overcome by the spirit. This time it was peace and comfort as I knew I was forgiven.
Sometimes in life we tend to forget whose "children" we are raising. We are entrusted with Gods sons and daughters, and it is our responsibility to help them to be prepared to take on the evil in this world. Our homes should be a temple or refuge for them. That they may be able to return there, after fighting their daily battle, and receive strength to go again. I am so grateful for this experience, and because of it I know even more that our Heavenly Father loves us.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I know you are a great blessing in the lives of your kids. Keep up the good work! PS Why is this posted during your block time? hahaha

Georgi Family said...

Ha ha! Busted. No, this happened today and I wanted to post it right away so I wouldn't forget it. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Missy!

Andrew and Lyndsey Richardson said...

Missy- that was amazing. Thank you for sharing such a personal experience so we could all share the same spirit you felt. I know I did. I know I often forget this principle and so I thank you for the sweet reminder. You are a great mom.